Thursday, December 26, 2013

Twas The Night After Christmas...


...and all through the @SmittysSynopsis (Twitter handle) house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse (possibly due to the exorbitant feral cat population in our area!)
No stockings were hung by our chimney this year
We were simply thankful for all we hold dear.
The children (Ziggy and Zola) were nestled & curled on the bed
While visions of feral pussy cats danced in their heads.
And Kay with her nightshirt, and I in my PJs
Had just settled down since there were no more sun's rays.
When over on my nightstand there laid my iPad
My insomnia kicked in, I looked to see what the Euro had.
Away to my desktop, I flew like a flash
Opened up Google Chrome, to see if the GFS was trash.
The waning crescent moon was rising in the southeast
Provided enough light to see my kids outside; those beasts!
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But the latest Euro run, providing PA with a moderate snow to end the year!
OK...I'll stop there with my apologies to Clement Clarke Moore...

But I will show the the GFS has a slightly more phased solution, but doesn't hold the cold over the eastern sections of PA like the Euro and thus we end up with a moderate to possibly heavy rain event to end the year.  

Which is correct?  It's too early to tell.  But my concern for receiving an appreciable snowfall will wane like our present moon if we don't see larger arctic high build across southern O Canada during this time frame.  The old adage, predict the high; predict the snow works very well in these types of scenarios especially at this time of year!  The Euro has a high, but it is not very strong as low pressure seems to easily slice its way into New England.  Certainly, interior locations especially in the north country will start to re-develop their snow pack, but it may be too warm here for any appreciable accumulations.
Here is the GFS in terms of surface pressures for the same time period...it is a nice synoptic set up with the exception of a BIG BURLY HIGH in Quebec.  Personally, I'd like to see it a few mb higher...this will once again be a close call for snow/rain and the dividing line will be close to our area.  Some things never change!

So we will begin to hear of a coastal development for early next week...so I'll try my best to keep y'all updated on the latest modeling updates and expert forecasters thoughts and ideas.  One thing I believe is becoming more and more certain is some serious cold will develop once this storm passes.  Here is the eastern trough setting up for later next week...
That is a cold 500 mb map for January...and it appears January will be on the colder than normal side for us if you believe the CFSv2...

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas Day, and continue to enjoy the Christmastide celebrations for the next week or so... 

Smitty

AA:  Monitoring the possibility of a coastal storm developing late in the weekend into early next week...followed by some fairly robust cold.  Enjoy this Christmastide with your young family!

No comments:

Post a Comment