Sunday, December 23, 2012

Cold to Follow...?

Not sure about the upcoming MAJOR storm this Wed-Thurs, but one thing I am fairly confident about and that the anomalous cold that will greet us on the the 1st few days of the New Year!  I for one...if I were going to be hanging outside anywhere in the northeast USA to usher in the New Year,... be dressed for winter's harshest cold!  Here is the 5 day anomalies centered on New years Day!  It is a cold graphic....no doubt!  This is in degrees C...so it is essentially -10°F from the norms!  That's darn cold!  If there is any snow pack, it will be much colder than indicated!
The Euro and the GFS both promote a cold and relatively dry pattern as per the 500 mb upper air pattern as seen below...
And the US generated model of the Climate Forecast System Version 2 suggests that January will be severely cold!
So I am fairly confident of cold weather hanging tough here in the month of January...and the pattern of storms will be prevalent across the CONUS...but how much the cold dome of high pressure can be attacked by the southern stream will be interesting.  This could be a January where many will want an early spring as the severity of winter weighs on many.  It could also be a January that is simply dominated and overwhelmed by NW flow; cold and dry.  But cold should rule the month of January!  We will see what we will see...

As for the Wed-Thurs system, WISH-CASTING...as opposed to forecasting...I'm rooting for the Japanese model...this is a major hit!  KMDT would be looking at 12-18" if this would verify!  Bring it!

OK...I'll leave y'all with this...and I'll try to update tomorrow morning once the Euro rolls in...(Check Twitter...) and before I spend my time away from the models, climatology, and meteorology in general to spend with family and friends...
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah...or whatever you so desire to celebrate.  For me, I celebrate the birth of the Christ child...or as the lyricist wrote years ago...my favorite Carol...

What child is this, who, laid to rest,On Mary's lap is sleeping?Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,While shepherds watch are keeping?This, this is Christ the King,Whom shepherds guard and angels sing,Haste, haste to bring him laud,The Babe, The Son of Mary!...

I will also link to this since it is one of my favorites...
Once again, MERRY CHRISTMAS!


AA:  A cold January looks to be in the cards...

No comments:

Post a Comment