Saturday, September 22, 2012

Summery Saturday; Autumnal Sunday

Today at 10:49 am EDT (1449Z), the sun began its 3 month journey to the Tropic of Capricorn from the equator of the earth & sky.  During that 3 month period, the sun angle will continue to become lower in the noontime sky (50º altitude at noon today at our latitude of 40ºN) and the the day length will lessen until December 21. This is our season we call "fall". Below is a diagram showing the noontime position of ol' Sol at our latitude during the 4 seasons of the year...
But outside today, it was awfully warm and the sun felt like it was much higher in the sky than 50º during the midday!  At our humble abode, 80ºF was easily achieved in spite of me assuring my wife earlier in the day that 80F was "out of the question"!  I'm still hearing about it....Oh well...In the same breath, I'm assuring her that Sunday will be much cooler than what we experienced today!  At least the GFS ensembles suggest that...
The leading edge of this much cooler and drier air mass is being indicated by the broken line of showers and storms presently crossing PA...
And the upper air is supporting this frontal passage as seen by this very deep trough...
And I believe that most of this week will be at or slightly below normal after Monday which will be much below normal.  In addition, it will be very chaotic in terms of the wx forecasts as the ensembles are having trouble with what potentially may end up being a "cut-off" low under the main jet which lifts north of PA.  "Cut-off low; weatherman's woe!"  The ensembles are showing signs of "cluelessness" as they are literally all over the place in the medium range of only 180 hours from now!  The white line is the operation; however, the red lines are the individual runs and note that most are well south of PA indicating cooler and possibly damp wx...agree?
The resulting temperature anomalies indicate neither warmer nor cooler thabn the 30 yr average...
So there you have it...I'm sorry I'm not 100% focused on this blog as I am watching what I consider a very entertaining NCAA football game between Temple and PSU.  Michael Zordich is quite the force on offense just as his daddy was when he was playing for PSU during my years in attendance Penn State!  Zordich was one heck of a defensive player; "hero" or "monster" if I remember correctly...His son knows how to deliver a blow carrying the football similar to his dad who hammered receivers coming across the middle or QBs who felt his blitzing capabilities!  Temple is a solid football team and Penn State is much improved as they learn what O'Brien wants to accomplish on both sides of the football. 
FIGHT ON STATE!  OK...I think it's a conspiracy, but I tried to upload the PSU fight song....but Noooooooo....not with Blogger......so here is a song I listened to many times over whilst I attended my Alma Mater...enjoy the blues....

And enjoy the remainder of your weekend....

Smitty

AA:  Much cooler tomorrow and Monday...then seasonal through the week with what then I believe to be a damp and cooler than normal Friday through Sunday period...

No comments:

Post a Comment