Thursday, April 28, 2011

(04-28-2011) Historic Severe Weather Outbreak!

Hey ya'll....let's face it.  It's not everyday that I have a commute of 1 hour and 15 minutes on an April 28!  It was a real treat just to get out to the highway, but once there, stop and go was the rule since the 2nd Street Exit going down in Harrisburg was closed.  After I witnessed the aftermath of a car hydroplane into the median on I-81, the real adventure began!  With my usual route through Linglestown permanently closed for a temporary improvement, I toured the backstreets of metropolis of Linglestown.  After venturing on roads I did not even know existed, eventually, I made my way into CDHS!  I never experienced this type of situation in my 27 years of this commute!  All this after being under a TORNADO WARNING until 6 am this morning at my humble abode.  Now I only received 0.98 inches of rain during the 1.5 hours of heavy rain in my area, but over here in the Linglestown area, report (reliable) of 2.25 inches in the hour were observed.  In fact, one observer had a rate of his Davis Instrument of 9.50+ inches per hour rate!  Yes, nearly 10" of rain per hour rate.....unbelievable!

Below is the prelim report of the severe wx from yesterday:  Quite a storm to be sure....
At last check, the mid lat cyclone that created this mess was deepening to 988 mb over Lake Huron.  Gusty W and WNW winds will cover our area this evening ushering in cooler and drier air through Sunday.  There is a possibility of a brief instability shower Friday afternoon as the heating by the sun cooks up a passing but very brief shower, but the chances for this are low in my opinion.

I'm trying this format to see if this is more user friendly....let me know what you think....and keep it clean JB and to less than 100 words....if that is even possible for you!

Smitty

AA:  Historic severe wx outbreak April 26-28, 2011, new format,  and enjoy Erie, if you're traveling there this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment